Thursday 22 September 2011

Statement Of Intent/Rationale

I wrote this over summer just before I started looking at briefs for this year so it probably could be revised a bit by now:

- My main interests have always been within packaging design. I have done a few packaging briefs previously but I would like to carry out a few more during 3rd year so I can have something more recent which shows my work more to its potential. In terms of subject I always find myself really drawn to food packaging, however I do need a bit more variety so will find other areas to look at as well.

- Typography is another one of my interests however I've always enjoyed the overall visuals and layout aspect of it and I haven't particularly looked at the technical side so much. I think designing my own typeface will give me the chance to do this and really understand the way typography works and the importance of choosing a typeface, as well as adding another element to my portfolio
- During second year I really enjoyed working with the type and layout of magazine spreads in the type module and this is something else I would like more of in my portfolio. I don't really have anything that purely focuses on editorial except for one brief from the type module (see here) so this would be something useful as well as something I enjoy. When reading magazines myself I really enjoy fashion so this could be an area I could focus in. In first year I actually created a magazine insert for Vogue however during the module things didn't turn out to well for me and I never really go the chance to finish it. This could be something to re-visit or I could come up with a whole new idea, or maybe even both?

- A more recent thing I've become interested in is brand design and identity. Product, range distribution was a brief I really enjoyed as this was the first time I attempted something like this. I focused on the branding of a restaurant however my main efforts went into the menu design and I feel I slightly neglected the rest of the branding. This is a reason why I would like to give something like this another go. Also with a branding brief I can also include all of the mentioned above. This should hopefully lead me to have a nice tied together portfolio.


- Another thing which I really need to do is brand myself. I'm not sure if i'll set this as a brief yet but basically need to work on a logo, business cards and mainly a website.

To break all this down, I want to focus my third year on:
Packaging Design 
Typography 
Layout/editorial 
Branding and Identity 

No comments:

Post a Comment